Damien Duff


Damien Duff : biography

2 March 1979 –

The arrival of Dutch winger Arjen Robben and new manager José Mourinho posed a threat to Duff’s place in the starting line-up for the 2004–05 season, but an injury to Robben at the start of the season saw Duff as the only available winger. Mourinho, however, did not play Duff in the early part of the 2004–05 season, preferring a more narrow approach. Duff eventually got into the side after four games and, when Robben returned to the side, Duff’s versatility saw him move to the right wing and form a wing partnership with Robben. The season proved to be successful for both Duff and Chelsea. He scored ten goals, including a crucial strike in a 4–2 win against Barcelona in the Champions League, while the team won the Premiership title and the League Cup, in which Duff scored the winning goal in the semi-final against Manchester United.

Newcastle United

In July 2006, Duff agreed terms over a £5 million move to Newcastle United, signing a five-year contract. — from BBC Sport, 24 July 2006. Duff made his competitive debut in a UEFA Cup second round qualifying first leg match against Latvian side Ventspils. He scored his first goal for Newcastle in September that year in a 2–0 victory over West Ham United away at Boleyn Ground. Duff suffered a knee injury in November that kept him out for four months, during which Newcastle had a bad run of defeats. He returned but was then ruled out for the rest of the season due to an ankle injury in a 2–1 loss to Portsmouth in April 2007. Sam Allardyce later described Duff’s injury as ‘career threatening’. Duff made a full return to fitness in December.

Duff was linked with an exit from the club, but remained at St. James’ Park and made some key contributions in the aftermath of Kevin Keegan’s departure and Joe Kinnear’s appointment as interim manager.

Under the new appointment of Alan Shearer as manager, because of his versatility, Duff was asked to play as Left Back. In the final match of the 2008–09 Season, against Aston Villa in a crucial relegation decider, Duff unluckily scored the deciding own goal that sent his side down. Much as when he did when with Blackburn, Duff confirmed his intention to stay at the relegated club and help them back into the Premier League. Duff scored Newcastle’s first goal of the 2009–10 season against West Bromwich Albion.


After playing one game for Newcastle in 2009–10, Duff returned to the Premier League, signing for on a three-year contract for an undisclosed fee, and re-joining Roy Hodgson, his first manager at Blackburn Rovers. He made his Fulham debut coming on as a substitute against Amkar Perm in the Cottagers’ UEFA Europa League qualifier match, setting up the third goal in a 3–1 win. On 19 December 2009, just six days before Christmas in a Premier League game vs. Manchester United at Craven Cottage Duff scored in the 75th minute in a 3–0 victory. On 17 January 2010, Duff started the game against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park and also completed the full 90 minutes in a 2–0 defeat. On 22 August 2010, he started and played the full 90 minutes against Manchester United at Craven Cottage in a 2–2 draw and also picked up a booking. On 18 September 2010, he started and played the entire match against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park in a 1–1 draw. Fulham 3–1 Amkar Perm: Cottagers Earn Comfortable Home Win

Duff scored his first league goal for Fulham in a 2–1 victory over Everton, scoring in the 79th minute to give the Cottagers a vital win. On 6 November 2010, he made a substitute appearance by coming on for Mexican international Carlos Salcido in the 69th minute in the match with Aston Villa at Craven Cottage in the 1–1 draw. His second goal for Fulham was scored against Manchester United after Bobby Zamora had set him up in a 3–0 win. On 15 January 2011, Duff made his 500th career appearance in English football when he lined up against playing the full 90 minutes in a 1–1 draw at the DW Stadium. On 5 February 2011, he started the Premier League game against Aston Villa in a 2–2 draw at Villa Park, but was replaced on 67 minutes by Simon Davies. On 27 February 2011, he played the full 90 minutes and also scored a goal in the match with Manchester City at Eastlands in a 1–1 draw.