Nick Knight (photographer) : biography
- ‘Magazine Publishing Award’ for the i-D Magazine Back to School Fashion Story
- 1985, 87
- Kodak U.K. Photographer Of The Year Award
- Awarded the Designers & Art Directors Award Best Book Cover for ‘Skinheads’
- SHOWstudio, FASHION REVOLUTION – exhibition at Somerset House, London
- ARCHEOLOGY OF ELEGANCE – Deichtorhallen Museum in Hamburg
- TALKING TO MYSELF – exhibition on Yohji Yamamoto at La Masion Européenne de la Photographie, Paris
- CENTURY CITY – London – Tate Modern
- CUT – exhibition by the hairdresser Barnabee at Musee de la Mode, Paris.
- CELEBRATING 100 YEARS OF PHOTO DISTRICT NEWS Exhibition in New York.
- IMPOSSIBLE IMAGE – To promote the book published by Phaidon Press, Exhibition in Japan
- LA BEAUTE – Exhibition for EN2000, Avignon
- FACING THE FUTURE’ – Touring Exhibition to celebrate 20 years of The Face Magazine
- ‘DAS FERNGLAS’ – at the Deutsche Hygiene Museum, Dresden
- NADJA – Exhibition celebrating Nadja Auermann in Germany
- ‘IMPERFECT BEAUTY’ – at the Victoria & Albert Museum
- ‘REVOLVER’ – exhibition at the MTV Music Awards in Stockholm
- ‘NURTURE AND DESIRE’ – exhibition on Breast cancer at the Hayward Gallery
- SILVER & SYRUP – Victoria & Albert Museum
- ‘H20’ at the KOBI MUSEUM, Japan
- LOOK AT ME – FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY 1965 TO PRESENT; a travelling exhibition put together by the British Council
- powerhause::uk; an exhibition put together by the Dept Trade & Industry
- THE ORIENTAL CURIOSITY – 21st CENTURY CHINOISERIE – travelled to London, Paris, Hong Kong
- SHOREDITCH BIENNALE
- HANDY SHORTS – at the Lux Cinema
- THE FIRST 25, a retrospective exhibition of images from Visionaire magazine at Colette, Paris
- ADDRESSING THE CENTURY: 100 YEARS OF ART & FASHION; exhibition at the Hayward Gallery
- TABOO; an exhibition curated by Creative Review
- NO SEX PLEASE WE’RE BRITISH; exhibition in Japan, organised by Shiseido Co Ltd with Dazed & Confused
- YVES SAINT LAURENT – 40 YEARS OF CREATION; exhibition in New York and Tokyo
- CONTEMPORARY FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY – The Victoria & Albert Museum – the V&A have also bought pieces of Nick’s work for their Photographic Print Collection
- JAM – exhibition at the Barbican Arts Centre, London
- LITTLE BOXES – a travelling exhibition curated by Michael Mack, in conjunction with the launch of his book ‘Surface – Contemporary Photographic Practice’
- Biennale di Firenze – ART/FASHION; a collaboration with Alexander McQueen
- A POSITIVE VIEW, Saatchi Gallery
- VANITIES exhibition in Paris
- ‘Plant Power’; exhibition at the Natural History Museum, London
- Festival De La Photo De Mode Exhibition in Monaco
- Festival De La Photo De Mode Exhibition in Barcelona
- OUT OF FASHION at the Photographers Gallery
- Ils Annoncent La Colour at the "Les Rencontres D’Arles" Group Exhibition – Holly Soloman Gallery New York
- 20 FOR TODAY at the National Portrait Gallery and 14-21 Youth Culture Exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum
- Group Exhibition 1982 at the Photographers Gallery
Life and career
Knight studied at Bournemouth and Poole College of Art and Design.
His first book of photographs, ‘Skinheads’, was published in 1982, whilst a student at Bournemouth. He was then commissioned by i-D editor Terry Jones to create a series of 100 portraits for the magazine’s fifth anniversary issue. As a result of those black-and-white portraits, his work caught the attention of art director Marc Ascoli, who commissioned Knight to shoot the 1986 catalogue of avant-garde Japanese designer Yohji Yamamoto in collaboration with renowned graphic designer Peter Saville. Since this first foray into fashion photography, he has shot both editorial and advertising projects for clients including Alexander McQueen, Audi, Calvin Klein, Christian Dior, Jil Sander, Lancôme, Levi Strauss, Martine Sitbon, Mercedes-Benz, Royal Ballet, Royal Opera House, Swarovski and Yves Saint Laurent.
Nick Knight directed back in 2001 his first music video ever, the controversial Pagan Poetry video, for avant-pop star Björk., Alien Rock (Bjork.com). 2002. In 2011 he directed the video for Lady Gaga’s single "Born This Way".
He currently lives with his wife, Charlotte and three children, Emily, Ella & Calum in London.
Launch of SHOWstudio.com
In November 2000, Knight launched SHOWstudio.com, an online fashion broadcasting company committed to pioneering, live fashion media. SHOWstudio.com has broken new ground with its experimental interactive projects, films and live performances. Its collaborations with influential cultural figures, from Björk, Boy George, Lady Gaga, Gisele Bündchen, Kate Moss and John Galliano to Leigh Bowery, Heston Blumenthal and Antony & the Johnsons, are broadcast live.