Nick Knight (photographer) : biography
Nick Knight OBE (born 1958) is a British fashion photographer, documentary photographer, and web publisher—as director of SHOWstudio.com.
Awards and exhibitions
Knight has won awards for his editorial work for Vogue, Dazed & Confused, i-D, The Face, W Magazine, Another Magazine, Arena Homme + and Visionaire, as well as for fashion and advertising projects such as the 2004 edition of the Pirelli Calendar. He has shot album covers for Björk, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Boy George, David Bowie, Kylie Minogue, The Style Council, Lady Gaga, Paul Weller, Gwen Stefani, Cheryl Cole, Seal, ABC and Massive Attack, and has produced Nicknight (1994), a twelve year retrospective, and Flora (1997), a series of flower pictures, both published by Schirmer Mosel.
Knight’s work has been exhibited at such international art institutions as the Victoria & Albert Museum, Saatchi Gallery, the Photographers’ Gallery and Hayward Gallery. In 1993, he also produced a permanent installation, Plant Power, for the Natural History Museum in London.
Knight was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2010 Birthday Honours.
- Moët et Chandon Fashion Tribute
- ‘Most Inspirational Photographer’ & ‘Most Admired Person in the Creative Industries’ in the Ultimate League Table 2001, Creative Review
- Terence Donovan Award by the Royal Photographic Society for major achievement in the previous year by a British photographer in the field of commercial, advertising or editorial work
- Gold Medal at New York Festival for ‘Best Book for Car Literature’ for CLCoupe work
- ‘Photographer of the Year’ at Pantene Pro V Awards
- "Best Front Cover of the Year" for Dazed & Confused September 98 issue in the Total Publishing Magazine Design Awards
- D&AD Silver Award for Most Outstanding Music Poster for Massive Attack album "Mezzanine"
- Design Distinction award from International Design Magazine in USA for front cover of Visionaire 27 Movement
- ‘Fashion Photography (series) of the Year 99’ for ‘Handicapped in Fashion’ for the Lead Photographie.99 – LeadAwards.99, Germany
- Silver medal for ‘CLCoupe print Advertisements’ at the New York Festival
- "The Power of Photography" award
- Honorary Master of Arts from Anglia Polytechnic University
- Honorary Fellowship from Bournemouth and Poole College of Art and Design
- Royal Mail’s "Stamp Innovation Award" for his photography of the Olympics Stamps 1996
- "The Advertising Women of the New York Award" for the Vogue fashion story "Modern Curves" June 97
- the D&AD Award for ‘Best Photographic Campaign’ for Levi’s Red Tab ‘OriginalWearers Campaign’
- Voted ‘Most Influential fashion photographer in the World’ by The Face magazine
- ‘Best Studio Photographer’ award at the International Festival De La Photo De Mode
- XYZ Design Award for best poster for The Natural History Museum – Plant Power
- Voted by GQ magazine as one of Britain’s best dressed men
- 1991, 92
- Awarded the Best Catalogue Award at the International Festival De La Photo De Mode for his two Jil Sander catalogues
- Halina Award for best young British Fashion photographer and ‘Gold Award U.S.A. Best Magazine Fashion Story’ for Faith for Arena Magazine
- ‘Club Des Directors Artistique Award’ for Best Luxury Goods Campaign for Christoffle Silverware and ‘Expansion Magazine Awards – Most Successful Banking Campaign’ for Barclays