Shepard Fairey : biography
15 February 1970 –
- Fairey designed the album artwork for Flogging Molly’s ‘Whiskey on a Sunday’.
- Appears in the 2006 videogame, Marc Ecko’s Getting Up : Contents Under Pressure, as himself.
- Fairey provided the design for the Obey Giant room at The Creek South Beach.
- Fairey designed the cover for the books Woodstock Experience by Michael Lang, Dan Garson, Henry Diltz (Genesis Publications, 2009)), A Heartbeat and A Guitar: Johnny Cash and the Making of Bitter Tears. (Basic Books/Nation Books, 2009) by Antonino D’Ambrosio and the cover of the Smashing Pumpkins album Zeitgeist, Led Zeppelin’s Mothership, Sage Francis’s Li(f)e, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers The Live Anthology and, in 2010, Stone Temple Pilots Stone Temple Pilots (album).
- He designed the album cover for will.i.am’s second solo album Must B 21.
- On January 19, 2009, Fairey created a Google Doodle for Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday.
- On January 20, 2009, Fairey made a radio appearance on the Fresh Air program from WHYY, an NPR affiliate, discussing his "Hope" poster, the official Obama inauguration poster and his many arrests (14 times) in connection with the installation of his "street" works. On February 26, 2009, he was again a guest on Fresh Air discussing the Associated Press lawsuit over the Obama Hope poster.
- On February 11, 2010, Stephen Colbert debuted a poster on The Colbert Report that was designed in collaboration with Fairey. The poster, created for Colbert’s coverage of the 2010 Winter Olympics, depicts Colbert wearing a crown of leaves, carrying an Olympic torch and riding an eagle, with the catchphrase, "Vancouver 2010: Defeat the World".. ColbertNation.com, February 11, 2010 Huffington Post, February 12, 2010
- Rash, Video Documentary 2005. 17-minute interview conducted in April 2003 with Shepard Fairey in Sydney Australia. Includes footage of Shepard and partner Barbara installing a paste up wall in a gallery side event at Semi Permanent conference in Sydney.
- Fairey’s iconic Obey logo appears in several levels of the Tony Hawk’s Underground 2 video game. It also appears briefly in part two of the anime Afro Samurai.
- The "Andre the Giant Has a Posse" is also a stock spray image in Valve’s popular video game title CounterStrike (v1.6, the spray was not included in CounterStrike: Source)
- Fairey features heavily in the Banksy movie Exit Through the Gift Shop, which documents the birth of Mr. Brainwash.
- Along with artists Frank Stella and Andres Serrano, Fairey appeared on The Colbert Report on December 8, 2010. As part of a segment with comedian Steve Martin, Fairey sprayed his Obey logo on a portrait of Colbert.
- On the September 13, 2011 episode of The Young and the Restless, an American television soap opera, character Devon Hamilton purchased a Shepard Fairey original, Commanda, as the first piece of art for his new office.
- On the March 4, 2012 episode of The Simpsons, Fairey appeared as himself.
- In 2013 a short narrative film based on the story of Shepard Fairey was released called Obey the Giant.