Michael Lynagh

Michael Lynagh bigraphy, stories - Australian rugby union player

Michael Lynagh : biography

25 October 1963 –

Michael Patrick Lynagh (born 25 October 1963) is a former Australian rugby union footballer who played as a Fly-half.

Lynagh represented Australia from 1984 to 1995, playing at both inside centre and fly half. Lynagh was capped 72 times for Australia, and was captain from 1993 to 1995. He was the world points scoring record holder when he retired, with 911 points. Lynagh was a member of the 1984 Grand Slam winning team and was vice-captain when Australia won the 1991 Rugby World Cup. Until he handed the kicking duties over to Marty Roebuck, he scored in every test he played in, including a try against Wales in 1984 when he was temporarily relieved of kicking responsibilities.

He retired from International Rugby after Australia’s loss to England in the Quarter Final of the 1995 Rugby World Cup.

Lynagh attended St. Joseph’s College, Gregory Terrace in Brisbane and played fly-half in the school’s First XV from Year 10 to Year 12 (1979–1981). Terrace won the GPS premiership 5 years straight from 1977 to 1981 with Lynagh playing in the final 3 years and was captain in his last year. After school he played first grade for University of Queensland and represented Queensland from 1982–1995. Lynagh was a member of Queensland’s Super 6 and Super 10 winning sides.

On 9 June 1984, at the age of 20, Lynagh made his debut for Australia against Fiji in Suva. Early in his career he played at inside centre as Mark Ella was the current fly-half. When Ella retired after the 1984 Grand Slam, Lynagh took over as the Australian fly-half.

In 1996, Lynagh joined Saracens of England at the advent of professionalism, after retiring from a glittering 12-year international career with Australia as the world record points scorer with 911 and a World Cup winner (1991).

Lynagh’s arrival at the club was the first major signing after Nigel Wray took control of the club and he acted as a beacon to attract other players and fans alike. Lynagh helped Saracens to have their most successful season to date.

In the 1997/98 season Saracens battled it out with Newcastle Falcons for almost the whole season for top spot in the league and when the two sides met in front of a crowd of nearly 20,000 Lynagh slotted a match winning drop goal in the dying minutes to send Vicarage Road into raptures. A month later he was on hand to steer Saracens to their famous Tetley’s Bitter Cup 48–18 victory over Wasps at Twickenham, bringing the curtain down on a season to remember.

He is now a TV analyst for Sky Sports UK. On 18 April 2012 Lynagh was admitted to the Royal Brisbane Hospital after complaining of headaches. There it was diagnosed that he had suffered a stroke though he remained in stable condition. Lynagh was released from hospital on Wednesday 2 May 2012,having largely recovered..