Raymond Williams : biography
31 August 1921 – 26 January 1988
In 2007 a collection of Williams’ papers was deposited at Swansea University by his daughter Merryn, herself a poet and author.
- Border Country, London, Chatto and Windus, 1960. reissued Hogarth Press, 1987.
- Second Generation, London, Chatto and Windus, 1964. reissued Hogarth Press, 1987.
- The Volunteers, London, Eyre-Methuen, 1978. Paperback edition, London, Hogarth Press, 1985
- The Fight for Manod, London, Chatto and Windus, 1979. reissued Hogarth Press, 1987.
- Loyalties, London, Chatto and Windus, 1985
- People of the Black Mountains, Volume 1: The Beginning, London, Chatto and Windus, 1989
- People of the Black Mountains, Volume 2: The Eggs of the Eagle, London, Chatto and Windus, 1990
Literary and cultural studies
- Reading and Criticism, Man and Society Series, London, Frederick Muller, 1950.
- Drama from Ibsen to Eliot, London, Chatto and Windus, 1952. Revised edition, London, Chatto and Windus, 1968.
- Raymond Williams and Michael Orrom, Preface to Film, London, Film Drama, 1954.
- Culture and Society, London, Chatto and Windus, 1958. New edition with a new introduction, New York, Columbia University Press, 1963. Translated into Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese and German.
- The Long Revolution, London, Chatto and Windus, 1961. Reissued with additional footnotes, Harmondsworth, Penguin, 1965.
- Communications, Britain in the Sixties Series, Harmondsworth, Penguin Special, Baltimore, Penguin, 1962: revised edition, Harmondsworth, Penguin, 1966. Third edition, Harmondsworth, Penguin, 1976. Translated into Danish and Spanish.
- Modern Tragedy, London, Chatto and Windus, 1966. New edition, without play Koba and with new Afterword, London, Verso, 1979.
- S. Hall, R. Williams and E. P. Thompson (eds.) New Left May Day Manifesto. London, May Day Manifesto Committee, 1967. R. Williams (ed.) May Day Manifesto, Harmondsworth, Penguin, 1968, 2nd edition.
- Drama in Performance (book by Raymond Williams), revised edition. New Thinkers Library, C. A. Watts, 1954
- Drama from Ibsen to Brecht, London, Chatto and Windus, 1968. Reprinted, London, Hogarth Press, 1987.
- The Pelican Book of English Prose, Volume 2: From 1780 to the Present Day, R. Williams, (ed.) Harmondsworth and Baltimore, Penguin, 1969
- The English Novel From Dickens to Lawrence, London Chatto and Windus, 1970. Reprinted, London, Hogarth Press, 1985
- Orwell, Fontana Modern Masters, Glasgow, Collins, 1971. 2nd edition. Glasgow, Collins, Flamingo Paperback Editions, Glasgow, Collins, 1984.
- The Country and the City, London, Chatto and Windus, 1973. Reprinted, London, Hogarth Press, 1985. Translated into Spanish.
- J. Williams and R. Williams (eds) D H Lawrence on Education, Harmondsworth, Penguin Education, 1973.
- R. Williams (ed.) George Orwell: A Collection of Critical Essays, Twentieth Century Views, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1974.
- Television: Technology and Cultural form, Technosphere Series, London, Collins, 1974. (ISBN 978-0415314565) Translated into Chinese (Taiwan’s complex characters), Italian, Korean and Swedish.
- Keywords, Fontana Communications Series, London, Collins, 1976. New edition, New York, Oxford University Press, 1984.
- M. Axton and R. Williams (eds) English Drama: Forms and Developments, Essays in Honour of Muriel Clara Bradbrook, with an introduction by R. Williams, Cambridge and New York, Cambridge University Press, 1977.
- Marxism and Literature, Marxist Introductions Series, London and New York, Oxford University Press, 1977. Translated into Portuguese, Spanish, Italian and Korean.
- Politics and Letters: Interviews with New Left Review, London, New Left Books, 1979, Verso paperback edition, 1981.
- Problems in Materialism and Culture: Selected Essays, London, Verso, 1980. New York, Schocken, 1981. Reissued as Culture and Materialism, Verso Radical Thinkers Series, 2005.
- Culture, Fontana New Sociology Series, Glasgow, Collins, 1981. US edition, The Sociology of Culture, New York, Schocken, 1982.
- R. Williams (ed.) Contact: Human Communication and its History, London, Thames and Hudson; New York, Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, 1981.
- Socialism and Ecology, London : Socialist Environment and Resources Association, 1982.
- Cobbett, Past Masters series, Oxford and New York, Oxford University Press, 1983.
- Towards 2000, London, Chatto and Windus/Hogarth, 1983. With a Preface to the American edition, New York, Pantheon, 1984.
- Writing in Society, London, Verso, 1983. US edition. New York, Verso, 1984
- M. Williams and R. Williams (eds) John Clare: Selected Poetry and Prose, Methuen English Texts, London and New York, Methuen, 1986.
- Raymond Williams on Television: Selected Writings, Preface by R. Williams, A. O’Connor, (ed.) London, Routledge, 1989.
- Resources of Hope, R. Gable (ed.) London and New York, Verso, 1989.
- What I Came to Say, London, Hutchinson-Radius, 1989.
- The Politics of Modernism, T. Pinkney (ed.) London and New York, Verso, 1989.
- The Raymond Williams Reader, J. Higgins (ed.) Oxford, Blackwell, 2001.
- Tenses of Imagination: Raymond Williams on Utopia, Dystopia and Science Fiction, A.Milner (ed.) Oxford and Bern, Peter Lang, 2010.
- Red Earth, Cambridge Front, no. 2 (1941)
- Sack Labourer, in English Short Story 1, W. Wyatt (ed.) London, Collins, 1941
- Sugar, in R. Williams, M. Orrom, M.J. Craig (eds) Outlook: a Selection of Cambridge Writings, Cambridge, 1941, pp. 7–14.
- This Time, in New Writing and Daylight, no. 2, 1942-3, J. Lehmann (ed.) London, Collins, 1943, pp. 158–64.
- A Fine Room to be Ill In, in English Story 8, W. Wyatt (ed.) London, 1948.
- Koba (1966) in Modern Tragedy, London, Chatto and Windus
- A Letter from the Country, BBC Television, April 1966, Stand, 12(1971), pp17–34
- Public Enquiry, BBC Television, 15 March 1967, Stand, 9 (1967), pp15–53
- A seven-page introduction to All Things Betray Thee, a novel by Gwyn Thomas.