Mike Tyson


Mike Tyson : biography

June 30, 1966 –

In 2000, Tyson had three fights. The first was staged at the MEN Arena, Manchester, England against Julius Francis. Following controversy as to whether Tyson should be allowed into the country, he took four minutes to knock out Francis, ending the bout in the second round., BBC Sport, 2000-01-30. Retrieved March 14, 2007. He also fought Lou Savarese in June 2000 in Glasgow, winning in the first round; the fight lasted only 38 seconds. Tyson continued punching after the referee had stopped the fight, knocking the referee to the floor as he tried to separate the boxers., BBC Sport, June 25, 2000. Retrieved March 14, 2007. In October, Tyson fought the similarly controversial Andrzej Gołota,Gregg, John., , BoxingTimes.com, October 20, 2000. Retrieved March 14, 2007. winning in round three after Gołota was unable to continue due to a broken jaw. The result was later changed to no contest after Tyson refused to take a pre-fight drug test and then tested positive for marijuana in a post-fight urine test.Associated Press. (2001), "PLUS: BOXING; Tyson Tests Positive For Marijuana", The New York Times, Sports Desk, Late City Final Edition, Section D, Page 5, Column 4, January 19, 2001. Tyson fought only once in 2001, beating Brian Nielsen in Copenhagen with a seventh round TKO., BBC Sport, October 14, 2001. Retrieved March 25, 2007.

Lewis vs. Tyson

Tyson once again had the opportunity to fight for a heavyweight championship in 2002. Lennox Lewis held the WBC, IBF, IBO and Lineal titles at the time. As promising amateurs, Tyson and Lewis had sparred at a training camp in a meeting arranged by Cus D’Amato in 1984.Rafael, Dan., , USA Today, June 3, 2002. Retrieved April 25, 2007. Tyson sought to fight Lewis in Nevada for a more lucrative box-office venue, but the Nevada Boxing Commission refused him a license to box as he was facing possible sexual assault charges at the time., CBC.ca, January 12, 2007. Retrieved April 25, 2007.

Two years prior to the bout, Tyson had made several inflammatory remarks to Lewis in an interview following the Savarese fight. The remarks included the statement "I want your heart, I want to eat your children."York, Anthony., , Salon.com, 2000-06-28. Retrieved March 26, 2007. On January 22, 2002, the two boxers and their entourages were involved in a brawl at a New York press conference to publicize the planned event.AP, , ESPN.com, January 22, 2002. Retrieved March 14, 2007. The melee put to rest any chance of a Nevada fight, but alternative arrangements were made. The fight eventually occurred on June 8 at the Pyramid Arena in Memphis, Tennessee. Lewis dominated the fight and knocked out Tyson with a right hook in the eighth round. Tyson was respectful after the fight and praised Lewis on his victory., BBC Sport, June 9, 2002. Retrieved March 14, 2007. This fight was the highest-grossing event in pay-per-view history at that time, generating $106.9 million from 1.95 million buys in the USA.

Late career, bankruptcy and retirement

In another Memphis fight on February 22, 2003, Tyson beat fringe contender Clifford Etienne 49 seconds into round one. The pre-fight was marred by rumors of Tyson’s lack of fitness. It was said that he took time out from training to party in Las Vegas and get a new facial tattoo., AP via ESPN.com, February 22, 2003. Retrieved March 15, 2007. This would be Tyson’s final professional victory in the ring.

In August 2003, after years of financial struggles, Tyson finally filed for bankruptcy., BBC Sport, August 3, 2002. Retrieved March 15, 2007.In re Michael G. Tyson, Chapter 11 petition, Aug. 1, 2003, case no. 03-41900-alg, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York. In 2003, amid all his economic troubles, he was named by Ring Magazine at number 16, right behind Sonny Liston, among the 100 greatest punchers of all time.

On August 13, 2003, Tyson entered the ring for a face-to-face confrontation against K-1 fighting phenom Bob Sapp immediately after Sapp’s win against Kimo Leopoldo in Las Vegas. K-1 signed Tyson to a contract with the hopes of making a fight happen between the two, but Tyson’s felony history made it impossible for him to obtain a visa to enter Japan, where the fight would have been most profitable. Alternate locations were discussed, but the fight never came to fruition.. Tysontalk.com (April 15, 2004). Retrieved on 2011-11-25. It is unknown if he actually profited from this arrangement.