Jef Lambeaux

Jef Lambeaux bigraphy, stories - sculptor

Jef Lambeaux : biography

14 January 1852 – 5 June 1908

Jef Lambeaux (Antwerp, 14 January 1852 – Brussels 5 June 1908) was a Belgian sculptor born in Antwerp. He studied at the Antwerp Academy of Fine Arts, and was a pupil of Jean Geefs. His first work, War, was exhibited in 1871, and was followed by a long series of humorous groups, including Children dancing, Say Good Morning, The Lucky Number and; An Accident (1875). He then went to Paris, where he executed The Beggar and The Blini Pauper for the Belgian salons, and produced The Kiss (1881), generally regarded as his masterpiece. After visiting Italy, where he was much impressed by the works of Jean Boulogne, he showed a strong predilection for effects of force and motion.

Other notable works include his Brabo fountain in Antwerp (1886), Robbing the Eagles Eyrie (1890), Drunkenness (1893), The Triumph of Woman, The Bitten Faun (which created a great stir at the Exposition Universelle at Liege in 1905), and The Human Passions, a colossal marble bas-relief, elaborated from a sketch exhibited in 1889. Of his numerous busts may be mentioned those of Hendrik Conscience, and of Charles Buls, the burgomaster of Brussels. He died on the 6th of June 1908.

Image:Mariemont_Lambeaux_JPG1a.jpg|Le Triomphe de la Femme (1901). Image:Temple of Human Passions.jpg|Temple of Human Passions (1898). File:Jef Lambeaux JPG1c.jpg|Le Triomphe de la Femme (1901). Image:Morlanwelz Mariemont JPG12.jpg|The Joy bas relief fragment of The Human Passions. Image:Mariemont_Lambeaux_JPG2a.jpg|L’Abondance (1902). File:0 Bruxelles – Petit Sablon – Blanchisseur.JPG|Le Blanchisseur () File:Cathedral of our Lady 9 (Piotr Kuczynski).jpg|Cathedral of Our Lady, Antwerp. Image:Antwerp – by Craig Wyzik.jpg|Brabo (1886).


Museum Jef Lambeaux

In 2006 the association "ASBL Musée Jef Lambeaux" was set up to promote the creation of a museum dedicated to the artist in Saint-Gilles, Belgium. The museum was already promised by the municipality of Saint-Gilles in 1898 but never built.