George de Mohrenschildt


George de Mohrenschildt : biography

April 17, 1911 – March 29, 1977

On November 9, 1976, Jeanne had him committed to a mental institution in Texas for three months, and listed in a notarized affidavit four previous suicide attempts while he was in the Dallas area. In the affidavit she stated that George suffered from depression, heard voices, saw visions, and believed that the CIA and the Jewish Mafia were persecuting him.

According to Dutch journalist Willem Oltmans, a "serious and famous Dutch clairvoyant," named Gerard Croiset, had a vision in 1967 of a conspirator who had manipulated Oswald;Gallery (magazine), April 1977 his description led Oltmans to de Mohrenschildt, and the two stayed in touch. In 1977, Oltmans went to Texas and brought de Mohrenschildt to Holland. What happened next is disputed. Michael Eddowes says Oltmans plied de Mohrenschildt with pharmaceutical drugs, which Oltmans denies, saying instead that he rescued de Mohrenschildt from a mental institution to bring him to the "famous" clairvoyant, Croiset. According to Oltmans, Croiset agreed that de Mohrenschildt was the man he saw in his vision. About this episode Lobster Magazine subsequently commented: "Between psychiatrists on one side and a psychic on the other — and even if the CIA were not involved — [de Mohrenschildt] did not have much of a chance."Lobster Magazine 24, 1992.

Oltmans says that after de Mohrenschildt arrived in Holland, he invited him out with some Russian friends. They went to Brussels and had plans to go to Liège, a city in the French speaking part of Belgium. Oltmans owned a house not far from Liege in the countryside. Upon returning to Brussels, de Mohrenschildt went for a short walk from which he failed to return. He had earlier agreed to meet Oltmans and his friends for lunch. Oltmans waited for him but he didn’t come back.Fonzi, Gaeton. The Last Investigation, (New York: Thunder’s Mouth Press, 1993), p. 189. ISBN 1-56025-052-6

On March 16, 1977, de Mohrenschildt returned to the United States from his trip. His daughter talked with him at length and found him to be deeply disturbed about certain matters and had expressed a desire to commit suicide. On March 29, De Mohrenschildt gave an interview to author Edward Jay Epstein, during which he claimed that in 1962, Dallas CIA operative J. Walton Moore had given him the go-ahead to meet Oswald. "I would never have contacted Oswald in a million years if Moore had not sanctioned it," de Mohrenschildt said. "Too much was at stake."Epstein, Edward Jay. The Assassination Chronicles: Inquest, Counterplot, and Legend (New York: Carroll & Graf, 1992), p. 559. ISBN 978-0-88184-909-7 On the same day as the Epstein interview, de Mohrenschildt received a business card from Gaeton Fonzi, an investigator for the House Select Committee on Assassinations, telling him that he would like to see him.Fonzi, Gaeton. The Last Investigation, (New York: Thunder’s Mouth Press, 1993), p. 190. ISBN 1-56025-052-6 That afternoon, de Mohrenschildt was found dead from a shotgun blast to the head in a house where he was staying in Manalapan, Florida.. The coroner’s verdict was suicide.Summers, Anthony. Not in Your Lifetime, (New York: Marlowe & Company, 1998), p. 368. ISBN 1-56924-739-0

On the day of de Mohrenschildt’s death, Edward Jay Epstein, the author who had interviewed him that day, wrote the following diary entry (29 March 1977):

David Bludworth, The State’s Attorney, was a folksy, charming and savvy interrogator. He began by telling me that de Mohrenschildt had put a shotgun in his mouth and killed himself at 3:45 p.m. There were no witnesses — and no one home at the time of the shooting. The precise time of his death was established by a tape-recorder, left running that afternoon to record the soap operas for the absent Mrs. Tilton, and which recorded a single set of footfalls in the room and the blast of the shotgun, which was found on the Persian carpet next to him. No suicide note or other clue was found. He said I was probably the last person to talk to him. Then, he asked whether I had in my possession De Mohrenschildt’s black address book. I replied "No." He politely rephrased the question, and asked me again — about a half-dozen times, whether I had the black book.