Bettie Page : biography
A cult following was built around her during the 1980s, of which she was unaware. This renewed attention was focused on her pinup and lingerie modeling rather than those depicting sexual fetishes or bondage, and she gained a certain public redemption and popular status as an icon of erotica from a bygone era. This attention also raised the question among her new fans of what happened to her after the 1950s. The 1990s edition of the popular Book of Lists included Page in a list of once-famous celebrities who had seemingly vanished from the public eye.
In popular culture
- In one of his numerous fictional back-page biographical sketches, Harlan Ellison claimed to be "writing a biography of Bettie Page for young adults".
- Alternative country band BR5-49 recorded an ode to Page named "Bettie, Bettie" on their 1996 debut EP Live From Robert’s. In interviews, Page stated that this was her favorite of the songs written about her.
- The Jazz Butcher included the song "Just Like Betty Page" on the 1984 album, A Scandal in Bohemia, using Page for a simile in the chorus "You have me/As far as I can see/roped and trussed just like dear Betty Page."
- The BD-3000 luxury droid in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith was inspired by Bettie Page.
- Beyoncé Knowles pays homage to Bettie Page in her music video for "Video Phone".James Montgomery. , Beyonce And Lady Gaga’s ‘Video Phone’ Clip: A Brightly Colored Fantasy Set To Life; Hype Williams-helmed clip premiered on MTV.com at midnight, November 17, 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- Swedish concept band DC-Pöbeln (a.k.a. Dagcenterpöbeln) from Örebro put Bettie Page on the cover of their only record Bettan/Dödgrävaren in 1985.
- In Quentin Tarantino’s film Death Proof, Rosario Dawson pays homage to Page with her trademark haircut.http://www.bettiepagemovie.com/wordpress/?p=105
- In Seattle, Washington, a homeowner became the subject of a short-lived controversy when he had an artist friend paint a large mural of Page on the side of his home. The mural is visible from Interstate 5, just south of the 65th Street exit.
- In Suda51’s video game "Lollipop Chainsaw," a pre-order downloadable outfit took inspiration from Bettie Page as a pinup girl outfit, and included her signature haircut with bangs.
- For its Polynesian-inspired Spring-Summer 2011 ready-to-wear collection, French fashion house Christian Dior styled the hair of its models with Bettie Page as inspiration.
- Cliff Secord’s girlfriend Betty in Dave Stevens’s comics The Rocketeer purposefully looks much like Bettie Page.
- Page’s image is seen in the Jeff Koons painting Antiquity 3.
According to long-time friend and business agent Mark Roesler, on December 6, 2008, Bettie Page was hospitalized in critical condition. Roesler was quoted by the Associated Press as saying Page had suffered a heart attack and by Los Angeles television station KNBC as claiming Page was suffering from pneumonia. A family friend said Page was in a coma, a claim not denied by Roesler. Her family eventually agreed to discontinue life support, and she died at 18:41 PST on December 11, 2008.
She is buried at Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery. Her headstone lists her name as "Bettie Mae Page" and includes the legend "Queen of Pin-Ups".
In 2006, Page and Halo Guitars collaborated to produce a limited edition of custom guitars, released at the 2007 Winter NAMM show in southern California. The total run of one hundred guitars was handmade and designed by luthier Waylon Ford, art was designed by Pamelina H. and the only collector guitar series authorized by Bettie Page.
- Striporama (1953)
- Varietease (1954)
- Teaserama (1955)
- Irving Klaw Bondage Classics, Volume I (London Enterprises, 1984)
- Irving Klaw Bondage Classics, Volume II (London Enterprises, 1984)
- Bettie Page: Pin Up Queen (Cult Epics, 2005)
- Bettie Page: Bondage Queen (Cult Epics, 2005)
- 100 Girls by Bunny Yeager (Cult Epics, 2005)
- Bizarro Sex Loops, Volume 4 (Something Weird Video, 2007)
- Bizarro Sex Loops, Volume 20 (Something Weird Video, 2008)