A. N. Hornby


A. N. Hornby : biography

10 February 1847 – 17 December 1925

In addition to his county and country, he also played first-class cricket for Marylebone Cricket Club between 1873 and 1898. Aside from his playing for Lancashire, Hornby also held the posts of Lancashire chairman from 1878 to 1898, and Lancashire president from 1894 to 1916.

Rugby career

Hornby first played for the Preston Grasshoppers and thence on to Manchester Football Club. His first game for England was on 5 February 1877 under the captaincy of Edward Kewley, a fellow Lancastrian. This match was the first 15-a-side international and was between England and Ireland at the Oval. He played as a three-quarter and despite being 30 years old, kept his place. He was present in the team in 1878 but due to his overseas international cricketing commitments in 1879 was unable to play rugby for his country that year. He was recalled to the side in 1880 as a full-back and it was in this position that he was called upon to captain his country in 1882. The game was played in Manchester on 4 March 1882 against Scotland who won by 2 tries to nil. When, later that year, Hornby led the England cricket team out at the Oval to play the Australians he became the first man to captain his country in both sports and this in his 36th year. He is one of only two men to have captained England at both these sports, the other being Andrew Stoddart.

Personal life

Tombstone of AN Hornby In 1876 he married Ada Sarah Ingram, the daughter of Herbert Ingram MP, the founder and proprietor of The Illustrated London News. With Ada he lived in Church Minshull, Nantwich and they had four sons all of whom went to Harrow. George Vernon (1879–1905) died in South Africa, having served in the Boer War whilst Walter Ingram (1878–1918) died of wounds received in France. The youngest, John (1880–1927) was also wounded during the First World War and was awarded the Military Cross and later died when exploring in the north of Canada. The eldest son, Albert Henry (1877–1952) went on to Trinity College, Cambridge and like his father played and captained Lancashire. Between 1899–1914 he played 283 matches – only nine matches less than his father.

Hornby was also a Captain of 1st Royal Cheshire Militia. He died at Parkfield, Wardle, Nantwich, Cheshire, 17 December 1925.