Stephen Whittle : biography
Stephen Thomas Whittle, OBE (born 29 May 1955) is an United Kingdom activist with the transactivist organization Press for Change. Since 2007, he has been professor of Equalities Law in the School of Law at Manchester Metropolitan University. Between 2007 and 2009, he was president of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH). A British FTM transsexual, he is described as "a radical lesbian before his sex change and now a leading commentator on gender issues", who achieved recognition in the European Court of Human Rights as a woman and allowed to marry.
In 2002, Whittle was given the Human Rights Award by the Civil Rights group Liberty, for his commitment and dedication to ensuring the advancement of rights for transsexual people through judicial means in the UK, Europe, and around the world.
In the 2005 New Year Honours, he was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) "for services to Gender Issues".
In 2006, he was awarded the Virginia Prince Lifetime Achievement Award by the USA's .
- (with Turner, L.) (2007) Engendered Penalties: Transsexual and Transgender Experience of Inequality and Discrimination by Trans People, London: Cabinet Office
- (with Stryker, S., eds) (2006) A Transgender Studies Reader, New York & London: Taylor & Francis: Routledge
- (2002) Respect and Equality: Transsexual and Transgender Rights, London: Cavendish Publishing
- (2000) The Transgender Debate: The Crisis Surrounding Gender Identities, Reading: South Street Press
- (with More K, eds) (1999), Reclaiming Genders: Transsexual Grammars at the fin de siecle, London: Cassell Publishing
- (with McMullen. M.) 1998, The Transvestite, the Transsexual and the Law (4th edition); 1996 London: Beaumont Trust (3rd Edition); 1995 London: Beaumont Trust, (2nd Edition); 1994 London: The Gender Trust ( 1st Edition.)
- ed. (1994), The Margins of the City: Gay Men's Urban Lives, Hampshire: Arena Press, Hampshire
Chapters in Books
- (2007) Transsexual people in the Military, In J. Barrett ed. The Practical Management of Adult Disorders of Gender Identity, Oxford: Radcliffe Publishing
- (2007) The Gender Recognition Act 2004, In J. Barrett ed. The Practical Management of Adult Disorders of Gender Identity, Oxford: Radcliffe Publishing
- (2006) Impossible People: Viewing the Self portraits of Transsexual People in A. Rogers ed. Parody, Pastiche and the Politics of Art: Materiality in a Post-material Paradigm, University of Central England in Birmingham in association with Ikon Gallery
- (with Watson, K.) (2004) Slicing Through Healthy Bodies: The media of body modification In M. King and K.Watson, Representing Health: Discourses of health and illness in the media London: Palgrave pp. 104–136. pages: 35
- (2005) Sustaining Values: Feminist Investments in the Transgender Body, In Y.W. Haschemi and B. Michaelis, eds.. Quer durch die Geisteswissenschaften. Perspektiven der Queer Theory. Berlin: Querverlag, pp. 157–168, pages: 10
- (2007) “Respectively a Man and a Woman”: The Failures of the Gender Recognition Act 2005 and the Civil Partnership Act 2005, Lesbian and Gay Psychology Review , Vol.8, no.1, Spring
- (with Turner, L.) (2007)‘Sex changes’? Paradigm shifts in ‘sex’ and ‘gender’ following the Gender Recognition Act?’, Sociological Research Online, Volume 12, Issue 1, January
- (2006) 'The opposite of sex is politics – the UK Gender Recognition Act and why it is not perfect, just like you and me' Journal of Gender Studies , Volume 15, Number 3, November.
- (with Witten, T.M.) (2004)TransPanthers: The Greying of Transgender and the Law , Deakin Law Review , 4(2) pp. 503–522
- (with Hartley, C.F.) (2003)'Different Sexed and Gendered Bodies Demand Different ways of Thinking About Policy and Practice, Practice' A Journal of the British Association of Social Workers, 15(3) pp. 61–73
- (with Poole, L., Stephens, P.) (2002) 'Working with Transgendered and Transsexual People as Offenders in the Probation Service' Probation Journal , 49(3) pp 227–232
- (with Little, C., Stephens, P.) (2002)'The Praxis and Politics of Policing: Problems Facing Transgender People' QUT Law & Justice Journal , 2(2)
- (1999) 'New’isms: Transsexual People and Institutionalised Discrimination in Employment Law' Contemporary Issues in Law , 4(3), pp 31–53.
- (1998) 'The Trans-Cyberian Mail Way' Journal of Social and Legal Studies , 7(3), pp 389–408
- (1998) 'Editorial' in The Journal of Gender Studies : Special Edition – Transgender, 7(3), pp 269–272
In countries which are located near sea coasts, sea food is an important part of national cuisine