Samuel Sanders Teulon bigraphy, stories - British architect

Samuel Sanders Teulon : biography

1812 - 1873

Samuel Sanders Teulon (1812–73) was a notable 19th-century English Gothic Revival architect.

Family

Teulon was born in 1812 in Greenwich in south-east London, the son of a cabinet-maker from a French Huguenot family. His younger brother William Milford Teulon (1823–1900) also became an architect. Teulon died in 1873 and is buried in Highgate Cemetery.source: Miscellanea Geneaologica et Heraldica, 4 Series Vol II (1909) as noted in Alan Teulon's 'The Life and Work of Samuel Sanders Teulon'(2009) His great great great nephew, Alan Teulon, published a book on S S Teulon in 2009.http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/community/nostalgia/famous_ancestor_built_chapel_for_royal_family_1_3288582

Career

Teulon attended the Royal Academy Schools, exhibited at the Academy in 1835 and began practice as an architect in 1838. He was a friend of George Gilbert Scott and became a member of the Council of the Royal Institute of British Architects on 6 January 1835. He was an assistant to George Porter and between 1841 and 1842 undertook a long study tour of continental Europe with Ewan Christian who remained a lifelong friend and became his executor. Also in company during the tour was Horace Jones who was later knighted and became architect to the Corporation of the City of London and Hayter Lewis, later Professor of Architecture at University College, London.

His first large-scale commission came in 1848 from the 7th Duke of Bedford to design cottages for the Thorney estate. Other clients included the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Duke of Marlborough (for whom he refitted the chapel at Blenheim Palace in 1857-9) the 10th Duke of St. Albans and Prince Albert.

He particularly specialised in Gothic Revival churches, but also designed several country houses and even complete villages, as he did at Hunstanworth in County Durham in 1863.

Works

  • St. James' Vicarage, Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire: additional wing, 1844 (now demolished)
  • St. Mary's Rectory, North Creake, Norfolk, 1845
  • St. Paul's parish church, Bermondsey, 1848.(demolished 1961)
  • All Saints' parish church, Icklesham, East Sussex: restoration, 1848–49
  • Church of the Holy Spirit, Rye Harbour, East Sussex, 1848–49
  • Owlpen House, Owlpen, Gloucestershire, 1848 (now demolished apart from the stables)
  • Thorney Model Village, Cambridgeshire, from 1848
  • Queen's Terrace, Windsor, Berkshire, 1849
  • St Paul's church, Sandgate, Kent, 1849
  • St Peter's church, Great Birch, Essex, 1849–50
  • Tortworth Court, Tortworth, Gloucestershire, 1849–52
  • St. Mary's parish church, Benwick, Cambridgeshire, 1850; (now demolished) Cambridgeshire, p302, (Second edition) By Nikolaus Pevsner
  • St. Mary's parsonage, Grendon, Northamptonshire, 1850
  • St. Stephen's parish church, Manciple Street, Southwark, 1859 (demolished 1965)
  • St. John's parish church, Kingscote, Gloucestershire: restoration, 1851
  • Christ Church, Croydon, Surrey, 1851–1852
  • Holy Trinity parish church, Hastings, East Sussex: rebuilding, 1851–59
  • St. James' parish church, Edgbaston, Birmingham, 1852
  • St. Margaret's parish church, Angmering, West Sussex: restoration, 1852–53
  • St. John's Church, Ladywood, Birmingham, 1852–54
  • Estate cottages, Windsor, Berkshire, 1853
  • School in Oxford Road, Woodstock, Oxfordshire, 1854
  • A cottage, Tortworth, Gloucestershire, 1854
  • St. Andrew's parish church, Lambeth, London, 1854
  • Schoolmaster's house and chapel, Curridge, Berkshire, 1854–55
  • Christ Church parish church, Fosbury, Wiltshire, 1854–56
  • Shadwell Park, Rushford, Norfolk: extensions & remodelling, 1856–60
  • St. Mary's vicarage, Steeple Barton, Oxfordshire, 1856
  • St. John the Baptist parish church, Burringham, Lincolnshire, 1856–57
  • St. Thomas' church, Pearman Street, Lambeth, 1857 (demolished).
  • St Giles' parish church, Uley, Gloucestershire: rebuilding, 1857–58
  • St. Mary's parish church, Alderbury, Wiltshire, 1857–58
  • Holy Trinity parish church, Oare, Wiltshire, 1857–58
  • Christ Church, Wimbledon, London, 1857–60
  • All Saints' parish church, Middleton Stoney, Oxfordshire: rebuilding, 1858
  • St. Bartholomew's parish church, Newington Bagpath, Gloucestershire: rebuilt chancel, 1858
  • Almshouses, school and rebuilding of St. Peter's parish church, South Weald, Essex, 1858–68
  • St. James' parish church, Leckhampstead, Berkshire, 1858–60
  • Prince Albert's workshops, Windsor Great Park, Berkshire, 1858–61
  • St. John the Baptist parish church, Netherfield, East Sussex, 1859
  • Elvetham Hall, Hartley Wintney, Hampshire, 1859–60
  • Hawkleyhurst house, Hawkley, Hampshire, 1860
  • St. Mary's vicarage, Gainford, County Durham, 1860
  • St Silas' church, Penton Street, Islington, 1860; completed 1863 by E.P.Loftus Brock
  • St. Bartholomew's parish church, Nympsfield, Gloucestershire: rebuilt church, 1861–63
  • St. Mark's parish church, Silvertown, London, 1861–62 Now the Brick Lane Music Hall
  • Huntley Manor, Huntley, Gloucestershire, 1862
  • Bestwood Lodge, Bestwood, Nottinghamshire, 1862–65
  • St. John the Baptist parish church, Huntley, Gloucestershire, 1863
  • Village of Hunstanworth, County Durham, 1863
  • St. Thomas' parish church, Camden, London, 1863 (now demolished)
  • All Saints Benhilton Church, Sutton, Surrey, 1863http://www.southwark.anglican.org/parishes/024j
  • St. Mary's parish church, Woodchester, Gloucestershire, 1863–64
  • Royal Lodge Chapel, Windsor Great Park, Berkshire, 1863–66
  • St. Peter and St. Paul parish church, Hawkley, Hampshire, 1865
  • St. Mary's parish church, Horsham, Sussex: south aisle, 1865
  • Buxton Memorial Fountain in Victoria Tower Gardens, London, 1865
  • Tyndale Monument, North Nibley, Gloucestershire, 1866
  • St. Paul's parish church, Greenwich, 1866
  • St. Margaret's parish church, Hopton-on-Sea, Norfolk, 1866-7
  • St. Mary's parish church, Ealing, London, 1866–73
  • The Court House, St. Andrew Holborn, London, 1867
  • St Andrew's and St John's School, Roupell Street, Lambeth, c.1868
  • St. Stephen's parish church, Rosslyn Hill, Hampstead, London, 1869
  • St. John the Baptist parish church, Windsor, Berkshire: alterations, 1869–73
  • Woodlands Vale House, Ryde, Isle of Wight, 1870–71
  • St. Frideswide's parish church, New Osney, Oxford, 1870–72
  • Holy Trinity parish church, Leicester: remodelling, 1871
  • St. Andrew's parish church, Eastern Green, Coventry, 1875
  • All Saints' parish church, Wordwell, Suffolk: restoration
  • St. Andrew's parish church, Brettenham, Norfolk restorations and remodelling
  • Cholmondeley Castle, Cheshire: alterations
  • Embrook House, Sandgate, Kent (demolished)
  • Holkham Hall, Norfolk: porch
  • St. John's parish church, Rushford, Norfolk: restoration
  • St. Mary's parish church, Sunbury, Surrey: internal alterations
  • St. Mary’s parish church, Pakenham, Suffolk: alterations
  • Riseholme Hall, Riseholme, Lincolnshire
  • Sandringham House, Norfolk: porch and conservatory
  • Wrotham Park, Hertfordshire: alterations

Style

Teulon was an enthusiastic user of polychromy. His planning was often elaborate: Henry-Russell Hitchcock called his mansion at Elvetham Park in Hampshire "so complex in its composition and so varied in its detailing that it quite defies description".

Some of his later work was more restrained: for instance at St. Stephen's church, Rosslyn Hill, Hampstead, (1869–76) the exterior is of purple-brown brick, of subtly varied tones with light stone trimming. The massing of the building is also simpler than in his earlier designs.

Sources

  • http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/community/nostalgia/famous_ancestor_built_chapel_for_royal_family_1_3288582 self-published book by historian and great-great-great nephew of S.S. Teulon

Category:1812 births Category:1873 deaths Category:English architects Category:Gothic Revival architects Category:English ecclesiastical architects Category:People from Greenwich Category:Architects of cathedrals

Living octopus

Living octopus

In countries which are located near sea coasts, sea food is an important part of national cuisine