Kath Pettingill : biography
Kathleen Pettingill (born 1935) is the matriarch of the Melbourne based criminal family, the Pettingill family.
Pettingill has one glass eye, having lost an eye after being shot through a closed door at the Collingwood Housing Commission of Victoria flats by Kim Nelson and Keryn Thompson as she and her son Dennis attempted to repay a $300 debt on behalf of her daughter, Vicky.
Having herself been a prostitute, she then went on to run brothels.
Her children include some of Melbourne's most infamous criminals:
- Dennis Allen, an infamous Melbourne drug dealer. Died in 1987 of a heart attack while in custody awaiting trial for murder.
- Peter Allen, convicted of armed robbery.
- Lex Peirce, minor criminal record.
- Victor Peirce, acquitted of the 1988 Walsh Street police shootings, killed in 2002.
- Jamie Pettingill, died of a heroin overdose in 1985, aged 21.
- Trevor Pettingill, acquitted of the 1988 Walsh Street police shootings. Trevor has multiple convictions for firearms and drug-related offences, and has served several jail terms. He has been described as a "career criminal".
A biography of her life, titled, The Matriarch: The Kathy Pettingill Story was released in 1996 written by Adrian Tame. Pettingill now lives in Venus Bay, Gippsland, Victoria.
A fictionalized version of her appears in the film Animal Kingdom, in which she is portrayed by Jacki Weaver, who was nominated for an Academy Award for her performance.
In countries which are located near sea coasts, sea food is an important part of national cuisine