James Hendler : biography
Hendler completed his Doctor of Philosophy degree at Brown University with a thesis on automated planning and scheduling
- 1995 – Fulbright Foundation Fellowship
- 1999 - Fellow, AAAI
- 2002 – US Air Force Exceptional Civilian Service Medal
- 2005 - Robert Engelmore Memorial Lecture Prize, AAAI
- 2007 - Fellow, British Computer Society
- 2009 - Fellow, IEEE
- 2009 - Fellow, Semantic Technology Institute International
- 2010 - Named to the "Honor Roll" of 20 most innovative US professors by Playboy magazine.
- 2012 - Fellow, AAAS
Boards and advisory boards
- Radar Networks, Advisory Board, (sold to EVRI)
- TopQuadrant, Advisory Boardhttp://www.topquadrant.com
- Franz Inc, Advisory Board
- Recursion Inc, Advisory Board
- Open Data Registry, Advisory Board
- Bright Hub, Advisory Board
- SocialWire, Advisory Board
Hendler's research interests are in the semantic web and artificial intelligence. Hendler held a longstanding position as professor at the University of Maryland where he was the Director of the Joint Institute for Knowledge Discovery and held joint appointments in the Department of Computer Science, the Institute for Advanced Computer Studies and the Institute for Systems Research. Hendler was the Director for Semantic Web and Agent Technology at the Maryland Information and Network Dynamics Laboratory. He is a Fellow of the American Association for Artificial Intelligence, the British Computer Society, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers and the AAAS.
On June 14, 2006, James A. Hendler was appointed senior constellation professor of the Tetherless World Research Constellation at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and he became a professor at that institute starting on January 1, 2007. Hendler has appointments in Computer and Cognitive Sciences, and served as the Assistant Dean for Information Technology and Web Science from 2009 to 2012. In 2012 he became the Head of the Computer Science Department at RPI and in 2013 he became the Director of the RPI Institute for Data Exploration and Applications http://news.rpi.edu/content/2013/06/13/rensselaer-idea-harnessing-power-data-change-world.
Hendler helps lead the Tetherless World Constellation on increasing access to information at any time and place without the need for a “tether” to a specific computer or device. Researchers envision an increasingly web-accessible world in which personal digital assistants (PDAs), cameras, music-listening devices, cell phones, laptops, and other technologies converge to offer the user interactive information and communication. Hendler is also one of the directors of the Web Science Trust and a visiting professor at DeMontfort University.
He is also the Editor in Chief Emeritus of IEEE Intelligent Systems and is the first computer scientist to serve on the Board of Reviewing Editors for Science.
He is a former member of the US Air Force Science Advisory Board and a former Chief Scientist of the Information Systems Office at the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). During his tenure there, he was responsible for projects such as CoABS - Control of Agent Based System, which led to the creation of other Agent-based projects: Taskable Agent Software Kit (TASK) and DARPA's Agent Markup Language (DAML) - the latter of which was involved in funding the emerging Semantic Web area.
Hendler also serves as an "Internet Web Expert" for the U.S. government, providing guidance to the Data.gov project.
Hendler was co-author, with Tim Berners-Lee and Ora Lassila, of the article "The Semantic Web" which appeared in Scientific American in 2001.
- Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist (w/ Dean Allemang) Morgan Kaufmann (2008) ISBN 0-12-373556-4
- Spinning the Semantic Web (ed) MIT Press (2005) ISBN 0-262-56212-X
- Robots for Kids (ed) Morgan Kaufmann (2000) ISBN 1-55860-597-5
- Massively Parallel Artificial Intelligence (ed) AAAI Press (1994) ISBN 0-262-61102-3
- Expert Systems: The User Interface (ed) Ablex Pub (1988) ISBN 0-89391-429-0
- Integrating Marker-Passing and Problem Solving. Lawrence Erlbaum (1987) ISBN 0-89859-982-2
In countries which are located near sea coasts, sea food is an important part of national cuisine