Harold Schechter : biography
Harold Schechter is a true crime writer who specializes in serial killers. He attended the State University of New York in Buffalo, where he obtained a PhD He is professor of American literature and popular culture at Queens College of the City University of New York
He is married to poet Kimiko Hahn. His daughter is Lauren Oliver.
- Discoveries: Fifty Stories of the Quest
- Bosom Serpent: Folklore and Popular Art
- New Gods: Psyche and Symbol in Popular Art
- Original Sin: The Visionary Art of Joe Coleman
- "Conversation Pieces: Poems that Talk to Other Poems," editor with Kurt Brown, New York: Knopf/Everyman, 2007.
- Nevermore (1999) – Edgar Allan Poe joins Davy Crockett to solve a series of shocking murders in Baltimore in 1835.
- The Hum Bug (2001) – Poe teams with Showman PT Barnum to solve a series of murders in New York.
- Mask of the Red Death (2004) – Poe joins forces with Kit Carson to track down a liver-eating murderer. Like the previous book, this one also takes place in New York.
- The Tell-Tale Corpse (2006) – Poe groups with author Louisa May Alcott to put down yet another murderer. This time, he takes his mystery to Massachusetts.
- Outcry – A Novel based on the fictional son of Ed Gein, and his path of destruction
- The Manly Movie Guide
- Savage Pastimes: A Cultural History of Violent Entertainment
- Real to Reel
- Patterns in Popular Culture: A SourceBook for Writers
- Film Tricks: Special Effects in the Movies
- The Manly Handbook
- Kidvid: A Parents’ Guide to Children’s Videos
- American Voices: A Thematic/Rhetorical Reader
- Start Collecting Comic Books
- "The Whole Death Catalog: A Lively Guide to the Bitter End"
- Depraved: The Shocking True Story of America’s First Serial Killer, the story of Chicago serial murderer Herman Mudgett, alias Dr. H. H. Holmes
- Deranged: The Shocking True Story of America’s Most Fiendish Killer!, the story of New York serial murderer Albert Fish
- Fiend: The Shocking True Story of America’s Youngest Serial Killer, the story of Jesse Pomeroy, child murderer.
- Bestial: The Savage Trail of a True American Monster, serial murderer Earle Leonard Nelson, who killed in Canada and the United States.
- Deviant: The Shocking True Story of the Original "Psycho", the story of Ed Gein, the killer who inspired Psycho, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and The Silence of the Lambs
- Fatal : The Poisonous Life of a Female Serial Killer, the story of 19th century murderess Jane Toppan
- A to Z Encyclopedia of Serial Killers (co-written with David Everitt)
- The Serial Killer Files : The Who, What, Where, How, and Why of the World’s Most Terrifying Murderers
- Panzram: A Journal of Murder (Introduction)
- "The Devil’s Gentleman: Privilege, Poison, and the Trial that Ushered in the Twentieth Century," New York: Random House/Ballantine Books, 2007.
- Killer Colt: Murder, Disgrace, and the Making of an American Legend(2010), the story of 19th century murderer John C. Colt, brother of arms maker Samuel Colt, and the trial