Avey Tare : biography
Avey Tare (born Dave Portnerhttp://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300&mode=results&searchstr=1669442&search_in=c&search_type=exact&search_det=t,s,w,p,b,v&results_pp=20&start=1, April 24, 1979) is an experimental musician and founding member of Animal Collective currently residing in Los Angeles, California.
Avey Tare met Animal Collective’s Deakin (Josh Dibb), Panda Bear (Noah Lennox), and Geologist (Brian Weitz) in high school. For years, the four of them swapped homemade recordings, shared musical ideas and performed in different group configurations. Avey Tare recorded the Spirit They’re Gone, Spirit They’ve Vanished album with Panda Bear, and initially released the recording on the band’s own Animal label in 2000. The album is commonly referred to as the first official Animal Collective release, with Tare writing the music and Panda Bear providing the ‘perfect percussion’ (as cited in the album’s credits).
After high school, Avey Tare and Geologist moved to New York City to attend New York University and Columbia University, respectively. Panda Bear and Deakin eventually moved to New York City, and the band became more collaborative in nature. They finally settled on the name "Animal Collective". Although the band’s output is, as their name suggests, a collaborative effort, with no typical ‘frontman,’ Avey Tare has been cited by the other members as being the ‘primary songwriter’ and de facto leader of the group. On the releases after ‘Spirit They’re Gone, Spirit They’ve Vanished’, which was written entirely by Tare, he has written at least half of the material, and for the albums ‘Feels’, ‘Strawberry Jam’ and ‘Merriweather Post Pavilion’, contributed around three quarters of the songs that made it onto the album. For the band’s latest release, Centipede Hz, Tare confirmed that the album has eight songs penned by him.
Other musical projects
Avey Tare’s other projects and releases include Terrestrial Tones with Eric Copeland of Black Dice, a split 12" with David Grubbs, and an LP with his then-wife Kristín Anna Valtýsdóttir (aka Kría Brekkan) called Pullhair Rubeye. He released his debut solo album "Down There" on October 26, 2010.http://pitchfork.com/news/39603-animal-collectives-avey-tare-to-release-first-solo-album/
In April, 2013, it was announced that Avey Tare had formed the group "Slasher Flicks" along with the ex-member of Dirty Projectors, Angel Deradoorian as well as the Ponytail-drummer, Jeremy Hyman. They are currently set to tour in the US and UK in June, 2013. Avey Tare described the band as "[a] group of three hippies on a road trip through the backwaters of 2013s rural music scene fall prey to a murderous cannibalistic band making…"http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/04/animal-collectives-avey-tare-forms-slasher-flicks-announces-tour-dates/
Discography with Animal Collective
- Spirit They’re Gone, Spirit They’ve Vanished (2000) – Animal
- Danse Manatee (2001) – Catsup Plate
- Hollinndagain (2002, 2006) – St. Ives, Paw Tracks
- Campfire Songs (March 2003) – Catsup Plate
- Here Comes the Indian (June 17, 2003) – Paw Tracks
- Sung Tongs (May 3, 2004) – FatCat Records
- Feels (October 18, 2005) – FatCat Records
- Strawberry Jam (September 10, 2007) – Domino Records – (US #72)
- Merriweather Post Pavilion (January 12, 2009) – Domino Records – (US #13, UK #26)
- ODDSAC (August 9, 2010) – Plexifilm
- Centipede Hz (September 4, 2012) – Domino Records
His sister is Abby Portner, New York City artist and musician, who creates some of Animal Collective’s artwork and stage design. , Field Day London Blog, London, 8 May 2013. Retrieved on 19 June 2013.
- Down There (October 25, 2010, Paw Tracks)
- Lucky 1 (October 5, 2010, Paw Tracks)
- Crumbling Land (2003, Fat Cat Records) (split 12" with David Grubbs)
- "Judy Biworker" on the sampler Esopus CD #4: Imaginary Friends (Spring 2005)
- "I’m Your Eagle Kisser" on the compilation Living Bridge (February 26, 2008, Rare Book Room Records)
- "Call Home (Buy Grapes)" on the cassette tape Keep + Animal Collective (March 2011, Keep)
Discography with Terrestrial Tones
- Blasted (2005, Psych-o-Path records)
- Oboroed/Circus Lives (2005, UUAR)
- Dead Drunk (2006, Paw Tracks)
Discography with Kría Brekkan
- Pullhair Rubeye (2007, Paw Tracks)