Archbishop Anastasios of Albania : biography
Archbishop Anastasios of Tirana, Durrës and All Albania (born Anastasios Yannoulatos , , 4 November 1929) is the Archbishop of Tirana, Durrës and All Albania and as such the primate and Head of the Holy Synod of the Autocephalous Orthodox Church of Albania. He was elected on June 1992. Professor Emeritus of the National University of Athens. Honorary Member of the Academy of Athens. Archbishop Anastasios is one of the presidents of the Central Committee of the World Council of Churches. Honorary President of the World Conference of Religions for Peace.
Life and career
Yannoulatos was born in Piraeus, Greece. His family is of Cephalonian origin.
Yannoulatos obtained a Certificate of High School (1947, with High Honours). B.D. of the National University of Athens (1952, with High Honours), then carried out post-graduate studies in History of Religions, Ethnology, Missions, and Africanology in the Universities of Hamburg and Marburg. Research in the Makerere University College, Kampala – Uganda, as scholar (1965–69) of the German Foundation Alexander von Humboldt. ThD of the Theological Faculty of the National University of Athens (1970, Summa cum laude). During his military service (1952–54) he attended the Schools of the Reserve Offices of Syros and of the MB Signals (to both first in rank and chief of School). He studied various religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, African religions, Islam) in the countries where they prosper (e.g. India, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Korea, Japan, China, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Nigeria, Brazil, Caribbean, Lebanon, Syria, Egypt, Turkey). Languages (Besides New and Ancient Greek) English, French, German. Working knowledge of Latin, Italian, Spanish, Albanian, Russian, Kiswahili).
Ordained: Deacon (7.8.1960); Priest – Archmandrite (24.5.1964); Bishop of Androusa for the position of the General Director of «Apostoliki Diakonia of the Church of Greece» (19.11.1972). Acting Archbishop (Locum Tenens) of the Holy Archbishopric of Irinoupolis (Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania) (1981–1991). Patriarchal Exarch in Albania (January 1991 – June 1992). Metropolitan of Androussa (August 1991 – June 1992). Archbishop of Tirana, Durrës and Primate of Albania (June 24, 1992 ff.). (For service in Africa and in Albania see below).
ThD h.c. of: The Theological School of the Holy Cross, Brookline, Ma, USA (1989), the Theological Faculty of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (1995), and the St. Vladimir’s Orthodox Theological Seminary (2003). Theological School of the Craiova University (2006); Theological Faculty of the Pontifical University of South Italy (2009); Honorary Member of the Moscow Theological Academy (1998). D. Staniloae Diploma Univ. Bucharest (the highest theological distinction of this University) (2003). PhD h.c. of: The Department of History and Archaeology of the Philosophical Faculty of the University of Ioannina (1996); The Agricultural University of Athens (1996); The Department of Political Science and Public Administration of the Law, Economic and Political Sciences and all the Departments of the Philosophical Faculty of the National University of Athens (1998); the Department of International and European Studies of the University of Piraeus (2001); The Department of Philology of the University of Crete (2002); The Departments of Physics, Medicine, Primary Education and Civic Engineers of the University of Patras (2002); Doctor of Humane Letters of Boston University (2004); The Departments of Medical and Agricultural of University of Thesalia, and Golden Medal of this University (2005); the History Department of the Ionian University, Corfou (2007); the University of Korça (2008); of the Departments of History and Ethnology as well as of Languages and Culture of Thrace’s Dimokriteian University (2009); ); the University of Cyprus (2010).
Church and Social Work
Laypreacher, catechetical work with teenagers; responsible for Bible studies, students camps, missionary efforts in new social frontiers. (1954–60). Founder and director of the Inter-Orthodox Missionary Centre «Porefthendes» (1961 ff.). He organized and directed (1971–74) the Inter-Orthodox Centre of the Church of Greece; during his term of office there dozens of Conferences, Seminars and other Church and social activities were organized. During his post-graduate studies in Germany he ministered to the emigrant Greek workers and students. He has been: Member of the Council: of the High School of Social Work – Deaconesses (1977–84); of the Highest Official Committee of the Church of Greece (1977–85); of the Committee of the Ecclesiastical Education of the Ministry of National Education and Religions (1977–82); of the Commission for the Protection of the Cultural Legacy of Cyprus (1985–91), of the Scholarships Commission of the Foundation Alexander Onassis (1978–94); of the Foundation Alexander Onassis (1994–2005). Member of the Philekpaideutike Society (1994 ff.).
In countries which are located near sea coasts, sea food is an important part of national cuisine